Wednesday, February 20, 2008

David's Friends

This is Puppy the First and Puppy the second. Puppy became David's Favorite right around the time that he started to play by himself. I tried to influence this because I thought that he had a brown puppy stuffed animal that was cuter but he always picked the blue one. It was a Carter's pull string toy and when you pulled the string it played twinkle twinkle. Each night we would pull the string when we put him in his bed and he'd snuggle close to it. Well, he quickly started to chew off the button-like nose and also the eyes. The whole snout became disgusting as shown. I had to throw it in the wash and when it came out the music box was dead. He still loved it. He eventually got one of the eyes off and I was afraid he was going to get the bigger nose off and it would go right down his throat in the middle of the night. I had been looking fruiously online, inspired by Leslie, for another one and no one had it. It had been a Target gift for my shower and it seemed Carter's no longer sold it. I took puppy away one night and the next day he was searching the ground and his bed whenever he wasn't distracted. We felt really bad for him but it wasn't safe. I planned on taking the nose off and sewing up the hole and then giving it back to him but I'm lazy. About 3 weeks ago when David was really sick, I was on a trip to Walmart for medicine when I saw at the end of the isle my prayers answered. It was as if music began to play and light from Heaven shown down on it. There was Puppy the Second! Carter's came out with a new version of Puppy and the resemblence was uncanny. But would David notice? I had to take the chance. The thought of my sick little boy being comforted by his best friend warmed me. The awesome thing is Puppy the Second has a fabric stiched nose and eyes so no threat of choaking. YAY! And he plays the same song. I brought it home and gave it to him right away while he was sitting on the couch staring at the TV. He reached immediately for it and held it close examining its eyes and nose. I think it took about an hour for the inspection to end and gain acceptance. Now its like Puppy was never gone. I am so happy and of course David too. I went back to Walmart to see if I could buy another one and store it for the next rotation but they didn't have any. I could go to another Walmart and probably find one but is that an okay thing? Let me know if you all think I should do that. Anyways, he has his friend back and we couldn't be happier. Also, David's new thing is everything shoes. He is facinated by all shoes. He carries mine and Tyler's shoes around and then puts his feet in them and shuffles around the living room completing a remarkable amount of laps without twisting an ankle. With his shoes he either puts them on his hands and claps as shown, or he puts them on his hands and crawls around on his hands and knees with 4 feet as I call it. He giggles and enjoys it even when we are not looking so when Mommy and Daddy watch and play with him he is extatic. So my baby boy has a shoe fetish. I wonder if Grandma Cluff has more of an influence than I thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so cute...and he looks so much like you!!!

Leslie said...

HA!! Ryan lost Buddy #1... then temporarily lost Buddy #2, so I bought Buddy #3 and Buddy #4... Buddy #4 went into my hope chest to save for either further rotation or for comparison when he gets older (new vs. chewed on/sucked on/thrown around). Well, after Buddy #3 got adequately broken in, we FOUND Buddy #2! Now he seems to not know what to do with TWO Buddies! ;-) His obsession with him has largely worn off, but it sure is a special memory we will always have of him! :-)