Saturday, September 4, 2010

Updates

  • Sorry, I usually hate it when people just write a novel with no pictures, but I can't think of any pictures I have that go with this. sorry.
  • So most of you that follow the blog know about me and my life so I will spare any back story. After almost 8 years of not singing in any kind of group I decided to that I wanted to give it a go again. After not being good enough for UofA professors to pay attention to me, marriage, then depression, I simplified my life completely. Probably I did it mostly out of fear but I quit school and for a long time I didn't have a job. Making any sort of time commitment was a hard thing for me because plans tied me down and then I felt anxiety. But that is all long in the past. I haven't taken the step to just DO THINGS again till now. I still have my job at Dairy Queen where I have been decorating cakes for over 2 years. Now I signed David up for a class at the community center, I attended aerobics classes at my stake center on some mornings, and (drum roll....) I auditioned for the MCC Chamber Singers and got it. Even after near a decade of vocal rest I still had enough pipes to make it, though the director and I talked about how rusty I am. Also something about age helps a woman's voice. Womens' voices mature at 25 years and really hit full bloom. When I was in school I was 19 and my voice was still trying to figure out what it was going to do. I find it much easier to sing now what used to be difficult. There is more ease in singing and I wish I had these chops back when I wanted people to give a darn about my talent. Oh well. I have been to 2 classes already and it has all come back very fast. I can sight read very well and I have a different excitement about this class because it is purely for fun and not work (aka school). Wish me luck. Our first performance is October 17th. I think I might audition for a couple solos too. :-)

5 comments:

Kristal B. said...

That is wonderful. It's great you are getting back out into the fray.

Unknown said...

That's awesome Angie! Enjoy every minute of it. I've been wanting to sing in a choir again for a long time. For now I'm making due with singing solos at my house - loudly.

Cheryl said...

Good for you, Angie. That's awesome. Congrats and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You have a great voice! That brought back some UofA memories for me :)

Dawson and Jenny Alverson said...

so is it like a class that you pay for? We will totally have to come to your performances, especially around Christmas!